Congratulations on your engagement! We’re as excited about your project as you are.
Dependable Letterpress makes your party ultra luxe with deeply impressed words and images on premium cotton papers. We tailor designs to your unique style. We work with you to make your paper dreams come true. We create details you’ll never forget because you’ll hold on to them for a lifetime.
In addition to designing & printing wedding stationery suites, we also offer announcements, thank you cards, seating charts, escort + place cards, menus, table numbers, programs, signage, marriage certificates, coasters, napkins, favors, tags, packaging and more!
How do I order my wedding stationery suite?
What should I bring to my consultation?
Can I work with Dependable Letterpress if I do not live in the Bay Area?
I have a crazy/awesome/weird/outlandish design idea in my head, can you make it happen?
What sort of files should I send?
What if I have no design idea in my head?
Do you have eco-friendly options for my green wedding?
Can I pick from existing designs?
Can you match any color I want?
Why does the color in my digital proof look different from what I expected?
Can I see a letterpress printed proof of my design?
What is a press check?
Who is responsible for proofreading?
Do you print with no ink?
What types of printing do you offer?
What is the difference between letterpress, foil stamping and digital printing?
What is the turnaround time?
When should I send out my invitations?
Can I rush my order?
Is there a minimum order requirement?
Will my invitations arrive assembled?
Do you offer calligraphy services?
Is a deposit required?
What are my payment options?
Call or email us to schedule a complimentary consultation. We’d love to discuss your project via email, on the phone or in person at your convenience.
- Yourself & your fellow stationery aficionados. Could be your mate, maids & men of honor or moms & dads. We can’t wait to meet all of you & talk paper!
- Color swatches (a piece of fabric, for example) so we can compare with our ink collection or match to a specific Pantone.
- Any design inspiration you’ve gathered from the web, magazines, photos, nature, etc. that will help us hone in on your personal aesthetic.
Absolutely! While we focus on being the best local source for letterpress printing, we’re also thrilled to see our work travel around the country. Communicating through telephone, email or Skype can be almost as good as working face to face.
We live for this! We excel in creative problem-solving & truly hand-tailored designs.
We prefer native Illustrator or InDesign files, although PDFs produced in other programs can work.
- Please specify colors as spot colors in the file, either Pantone or any other color system. This allows us to output your file as separations in the intended colors- if your colors are CMYK values, the file can only be separated into C-M-Y and K.
- Please convert fonts to outlines, or else provide the font files with the art file.
- If you have multiple items in a single document, please define the separate pieces with either crop marks, keylines or by using multiple artboards.
- Any placed graphics should be high-resolution (600 dpi) bitmap TIFFs, or else turned to vectors. All type/fonts should be vectors.
- Please note: We may not be able to get a clean printing plate from pixel-based images or type. Vector artwork is always preferred! If you are uncertain whether pixel-based artwork will work, please provide vector art instead.
- Files must show placement and sizing of artwork. If you need us to size or place the artwork within the document, design/layout time will be charged at $100/hour with a half-hour minimum.
- We are always happy to look at files and give technical feedback if you have any doubts that the art is set up correctly.
You’ve come to the right place! In our meeting we get to know you & work with you one-on-one to craft your ideal aesthetic. Through 3 rounds of proofing, we’ll tailor your design to perfection.
We believe the process of letterpress is inherently green & take measures to lessen our environmental footprint whenever possible by :
- We love to print from hand-set type using our collection of vintage lead and wood type, which is reusable, not disposable.
- Printing primarily on tree-free all-cotton paper. Read what Crane Paper has to say about the sources for cotton paper fiber here.
- Sourcing other high-quality commercial papers that come from FSC certified forests.
- Stocking several recycled papers with high post-consumer content.
- Using soy-based inks and our solvents are low- or zero-VOC.
- We have a local paper maker create recycled cotton letterpress paper from our offcuts. This is the greenest paper we know of- and handmade paper is one of the only recycled papers that is more beautiful than the paper it was made from.
Yes! Our paper stylist is in the midst of building our design collection, so soon we will have a plethora of choices.
Color-matching is our specialty! We can match a swatch of fabric, paint chip, or other color inspiration, or work with the traditional Pantone ink color palette. If color matches are crucial, we will ask you to come check the color on press to assure that it is exactly the way you want it before we print it. See: What Is A Press Check?
Color varies quite a lot from screen to screen, or from desktop printers. We ensure that your final print will match the Pantone ink color we decided on in our consultation or we’re happy to provide ink chips that show the requested color.
Due to the extensive set up each time we print, all proofs are emailed to you as PDFs. If you’re local, we highly recommend a press check to see what it looks like before we print it.
A press check is an appointment where we arrange for you to be here when we have set your invitation up on the press, but before we have run the entire job. You have the opportunity to make minor corrections to the color(s) and to be assured that everything is exactly as you want it. When you are happy with how it looks, we get going with the printing. We have multiple presses, and can usually show you all the colors together at a single viewing. While we try to accommodate your schedule to make this convenient, you need to be available during business hours and at times that allow us to run the job after your approval.
While we have an astute eye for detail, our focus will be on getting your design just right. It is your responsibility to carefully review your proofs for errors, including spelling, layout, color assignments, dates and times, accuracy of directions, etc. Please be sure to cross your t’s, dot your i’s and very thoroughly read your final proof. Have a friend do it also! Once you give your final approval any errors are corrected at your expense.
That’s called blind debossing and we love it! The deboss is a distinguishing feature of letterpress printing. A blind deboss prints your artwork without ink so it leaves a subtle, yet tangible impression in the paper. The effect is more successful with some graphics/typefaces/papers than others, so please ask if you would like to use this particular technique.
Letterpress printing is our specialty and done right here at Dependable Letterpress! We also offer in-house edge-painting & die-cutting. We partner with local shops for offset and digital printing & foil-stamping.
Letterpress printing is the original printing technology, and is done by inking a raised (relief) surface and pressing it into the paper. This produces a debossed indent in the paper as a side effect of applying the ink, which is unique to this printing process. Foil stamping is a letterpress process that uses heat to fuse metallic foil to paper, instead of ink. Digital printing, also sometimes known as flat printing, is a high quality type of inkjet printing. While it has limitations in the type of paper it can print on and color matching, it is very flexible in the kinds of imagery it can print (photos and reproductions of watercolor or drawing are not a problem, unlike letterpress printing). It is also relatively inexpensive at small quantities, compared to traditional printing processes.
Upon submitting your order, please expect 6 weeks of production time for design & printing. If there are extra bells and whistles, like foil-stamping or edge-painting, it may lengthen the time a bit. Please plan to begin the ordering process 12 – 14 weeks before your wedding day. We try to accommodate your schedule if you need it done sooner, but rush orders are accepted based on availability and the requirements of the project and may entail rush fees of 15-50% depending on circumstances.
Typically, you want your invitations in the post 6 – 8 weeks before the big day.
Rush orders are accepted based on availability and the requirements of the project and may entail rush fees of 15-50% depending on circumstances. Please call to discuss specifics.
We will do as few as you like, but the print quantity pricing minimum is for 50 pieces. Our custom design minimum is 1 hour.
Your suite will arrive unassembled to allow for addressing envelopes and/or RSVP cards. If we are handling your calligraphy, we’ll happily assemble the sets for an additional fee.
We offer in-house modern calligraphy services. For a more traditional style, we’ve got a list of amazing local calligraphers we partner with.
Yes, we require a 50% deposit before we begin designing and/or printing. Final payment due upon delivery of your completed suite.
We accept checks, credit cards and interesting barter.